Summary of Rental Terms and Conditions
- This contract to hire a Vehicle from Rent me Trucks (Rental Contract) consists of two separate documents:
(a) the agreement (Rental Agreement) You have signed to hire the Vehicle from Us; and
(b) these rental Terms and Conditions (Terms and Conditions).
- The date of the Rental Contract is the date shown in the Rental Agreement.
- The Rental Contract is governed by the laws of Queensland and You agree that courts in that state have non-exclusive jurisdiction to determine any dispute that arises between You and Us.
- We may fit a GPS Tracking Device to the Vehicle to enable Us to track the Vehicle when it is out of Our possession. When You sign the Rental Agreement You are authorising Us to use the GPS Tracking Device to track the Vehicle until it is returned to Us.
- The Australian Consumer Law applies to the Rental Contract and it provides You with rights that are not excluded, restricted or modified by the Rental Contract and any provision in this contract is subject to the specific protections and guarantees in that and any corresponding Federal, State or Territory legislation.
2 Who may drive the Vehicle?
- Only You or an Authorised Driver can drive the Vehicle. It is a Major Breach of the Rental Contract if You let anyone who is unauthorised drive the Vehicle. If there is a Major Breach of the Rental Contract there is no Damage Cover for You, the Authorised Driver or the unauthorised driver for any Damage, theft of the Vehicle or Third Party Loss.
- We set a minimum and maximum age limit for those renting Our Vehicles. You and any Authorised Driver must be at least 25 and not over 75 years of age and have no less than 12 months driving experience. Prior to the Start of the Rental and in Our sole discretion We may agree to vary that restriction to allow drivers aged from 21 to 24 years of age to drive the Vehicle provided they hold a minimum of a light rigid truck drivers licence and the driver’s name is clearly shown in the Rental Agreement.
- You and any Authorised Driver must also have a valid licence to drive the class of Vehicle You propose to hire which is issued in an Australian state or territory or an international licence (with a valid International Driving Permit or an approved translation if Your licence is not issued in English) and which is not subject to any restriction or condition. Learner drivers and provisional and probationary licence holders are not acceptable and must not drive the Vehicle.
- The Vehicle must not be driven if Your licence or the licence of any Authorised Driver has been cancelled within 2 years of the date of the Rental Agreement.
3 Prohibited Use
- The Vehicle must not be driven by You or any Authorised Driver:
(a) whilst intoxicated or under the influence of drugs or alcohol or with a blood alcohol content or level of drugs present in blood, urine or oral fluid that exceeds the limit set by law;(b) recklessly or dangerously; or(c) whilst the Vehicle is damaged or unsafe.
- You and any Authorised Driver must not:
(a) fail or refuse to undergo any breath, blood, urine or oral fluid test or drug impairment assessment;(b) use the Vehicle:
(i) for any illegal purpose;
(ii) to move dangerous, hazardous, inflammable goods or substances that pollute or contaminate, in quantities above that used for domestic purposes;
(iii) to carry illegal drugs or substances;
(iv) to propel or tow another vehicle or a trailer;
(v) in connection with the motor trade for experiments, tests, trials or demonstration purposes; or
(vi) in an unsafe or un-roadworthy condition.
- You and any Authorised Driver must not:
(a) damage the Vehicle deliberately or recklessly or allow anyone else to do so;
(b) modify the Vehicle in any way;
(c) sell, rent, lease or dispose of the Vehicle; or
(d) register or claim to be entitled to register any interest in the Vehicle under the Personal Property Securities Act 2009.
- You and any Authorised Driver must not use the Vehicle to carry:
(a) passengers for hire, fare or reward or for rideshare purposes;
(b) more than the number of passengers for which the Vehicle is licensed; or
(c) any load that exceeds the limits for which the Vehicle was designed, constructed, registered or licenced.
- You and any Authorised Driver must not:
(a) use the Vehicle to transport any pets or animals except assistance animals; or
(b) smoke in the Vehicle and You must prevent any passenger from doing so.
Additional cleaning and deodorising costs ranging from $50 to $100 must be paid if there is a breach of this clause.
- You and any Authorised Driver must not use a mobile phone or a GPS unit whilst the Vehicle is in motion or stationary; but not parked unless the body of the phone or GPS unit is affixed to the Vehicle and the phone or GPS unit is not being held or touched at any time whilst being used.
4 Prohibited areas of use
- The Vehicle must never be driven on:
(a) an Unsealed Road;
(b) Off Road;
(c) above the snow line between 1 May and 31 October.
- The Vehicle must not be used in any area that is prohibited by Us. Prohibited areas include:
(a) roads that are prone to flooding or are flooded;
(b) beaches, streams, rivers, creeks, dams and floodwaters;
(c) any road where the police or an authority has issued a warning;
(d) any road that is closed; and
(e) any road where it would be unsafe to drive the Vehicle.
- The Vehicle must never be driven or used:
(a) in Queensland:
(i) further north than Mossman; or
(ii) further west than Richmond or Winton;
(b) in South Australia;
(i) further west than Ceduna; or
(ii) further north than Port Augusta;
(c) into or out of:
(i) the Northern Territory;
(ii) Western Australia; or
(i) Kangaroo Island;
(ii) Moreton Island; or
(iii) Fraser Island; or
(e) on any ferry or barge,
unless We have given Our prior written permission prior to the Start of the Rental and it is noted on the Rental Agreement.
5 Your obligations
- At the Start of the Rental and before collecting the Vehicle You must pay the anticipated Rental Charges and the Security Bond.
- The Bond is fully refundable to You provided that:
(a) all amounts due to Us under the Rental Contract have been paid, including toll road charges and refuelling costs;
(b) the Vehicle has been returned to the Rental Location at the date and time set in the Rental Agreement;
(c) there is no Damage or Third Party Loss;
(d) the exterior and interior of the Vehicle are clean;
(e) the Vehicle has a full tank of fuel; and
(f) there has not been a Major Breach of the Rental Contract,
We reserve the right to retain all or part of the Bond if there is a breach of any of these conditions.
- At the Start of the Rental You must also inspect the Vehicle to make sure that any pre-existing damage is noted and shown in the Rental Agreement.
- You and any Authorised Driver must pay all tolls, speeding and traffic fines and infringements as well as any fines or charges imposed for parking or using the Vehicle or release of the Vehicle if it has been seized by a regulatory authority.
- You must comply with all mandatory:
(a) seat belt laws and fines may be imposed by the police on any driver or passenger who does not have a seat belt properly adjusted and fastened; and
(b) child restraint laws and ensure that for all children under the age of seven years the restraint has been fitted correctly according to the weight and age of the child and that the restraint is properly adjusted and fastened.
- You and any Authorised Driver must make sure that the Vehicle is locked when not in use or unattended and the keys or remote control device must be kept in Your possession, or that of any Authorised Driver, at all times and are never left in the ignition when the Vehicle is unattended.
- You and any Authorised Driver must take reasonable care of the Vehicle by:
(a) preventing it from being damaged;
(b) making sure that it is protected from the weather;(c) maintaining the engine and brake oils and coolant level and tyre pressures;(d) using the correct fuel type (and using bio-diesel, ethanol or any organic hybrid fuel is strictly prohibited); and(e) making sure it is not overloaded.
- You must inform Us immediately if:
(a) a warning light or fault message appears;
(b) You see or become aware of low engine or brake oils, or engine coolant levels; or
(c) the Vehicle develops any fault during the Rental Period.
If You fail to notify Us and continue to use the Vehicle You will be responsible for any Damage or Third Party Loss.
- You must not let anyone else repair or work on the Vehicle or tow or salvage it without Our prior written authority to do so.
- Where We have given You Our prior authority to repair the Vehicle You must keep and produce to Us the original tax invoices and receipts for any repairs, towing or salvage and You will be reimbursed only if these expenses have been authorised by Us. Any entitlement to reimbursement is subject to there being no Major Breach of the Rental Contract.
- You must not leave the Vehicle unattended following an Accident and before the arrival of a tow or salvage operator.
- If the Vehicle is returned at any time outside Our normal business hours You must return it to the yard or compound at the Rental Location using the access swipe card or key provided to You. If You fail to do so and the Vehicle is left in any other location, including in the street adjacent to the Rental Location, You are liable for all Damage to the Vehicle until the Rental Location next opens for business.
6 Toll charges
- You must pay for all tolls and charges incurred by You for Your use of the Vehicle on a toll road.
- Our Vehicles are all linked to a toll road operator account and tolls and charges incurred by You will be debited from Your nominated credit card within a reasonable time after We receive an invoice from the toll road operator and prior to refund of the Bond or at an earlier time if Your proposed use of a toll road is made known to Us in advance.
7 Damage Cover7.1 Standard Damage Cover for Accidents and theft, but not for windscreens, is included in the Rental Charges. Subject to these Terms and Conditions, if You or any Authorised Driver has an Accident or if the Vehicle is stolen We will indemnify You and the Authorised Driver for the theft, any Damage (excluding windscreens) or Third Party Loss but You must pay up to the Damage Excess shown on the Rental Agreement for each Accident or theft unless:
(a) We agree You were not at fault; and
(b) the other party was insured and their insurance company accepts liability and agrees to pay for Our loss.
- An additional Damage Excess applies to You or any Authorised Driver whom We have approved prior to the Start of the rental and who is 21 to 24 years of age.
- The Damage Excess payable under clauses 1 and 7.2 will be charged to Your credit card:
(a) for Single Vehicle Accidents, after a repairer’s estimate or tax invoice verifying the amount charged for Damage has been sent to You;
(b) if the Vehicle has been stolen, after We have made reasonable enquiries and in Our opinion it is unlikely the Vehicle will be recovered; and
(c) for Accidents in which there is also Third Party Loss, after:
(i) a reasonable estimate of the Third Party Loss has been made;
(ii) a repairer’s estimate or tax invoice verifying the amount charged for Damage has been obtained; and
(iii) all documents verifying the Third Party Loss and Damage have been sent to You,
unless You have expressly authorised the charge to Your credit card at an earlier time.
- A claims administration fee of $200 applies to all claims for Accident of theft and must be paid in addition to the Damage Excess. It is payable at the time You lodge Your Accident or theft claim with Us.
8 Additional Damage Cover
- When You collect the Vehicle You have the option of purchasing Additional Damage Cover at extra cost. This reduces the Damage Excess payable in the event of an Accident or theft claim to the amount shown on the Rental Agreement and provides cover for damage to the Vehicle’s windscreen.
- This Additional Damage Cover indemnifies You for damage to the windscreen of the Vehicle provided that it is not caused by:
(a) operating the Vehicle dangerously or recklessly;
(b) an Overhead Damage impact to the Vehicle; or
(c) a Major Breach of the Terms and Conditions.
- If You do not choose to purchase Additional Damage Cover, You will be liable to Us for the repair cost of each crack or chip in the windscreen incurred during the Rental Period or for the replacement cost of the windscreen if the damage to it makes the Vehicle unroadworthy.
9 Damage Cover Exclusions
- There is no Damage Cover, and You and any Authorised Driver are liable for:
(a) Damage or Third Party Loss arising from:
(i) a Major Breach of the Rental Contract; or
(ii) the use of the Vehicle by any driver who is not an Authorised Driver or who is less than 21 or more than 75 years of age;
(b) Overhead Damage;
(c) Underbody Damage;
(d) Reversing Damage;
(e) Damage caused in a Single Vehicle Accident;
(f) Damage to the Vehicle’s windscreen unless You have purchased Additional Damage Cover;
(g) Damage caused by immersion of the Vehicle in water; and
(h) Damage caused because the Vehicle was not returned to the yard or compound in breach of clause 5.12.
- There is also no Damage Cover for:
(a) any loss, damage or deterioration of any goods or property carried in the Vehicle and You agree to fully indemnify Us for any loss, damage or deterioration of those goods or property unless it arises as a result of Our negligence;
(b) the full cost of replacing or repairing any accessories supplied by Us including, but not limited to GPS units, lost keys, keyless start and remote control devices; or
(c) personal items that are left in or stolen from the Vehicle or for loss or damage to property belonging to or in the custody of:
(ii) any relative, friend or associate of Yours ordinarily residing with You or with whom You ordinarily reside;
(iii) any relative, friend or associate of an Authorised Driver; or
(iv) Your employees.
10 Rental Period, costs and charges
- The Rental Agreement shows:
(a) the Rental Period for which You have hired the Vehicle; and
(b) the Rental Charges.
- You must return the Vehicle on the date and by the time shown in the Rental Agreement. If You fail to return the Vehicle, We may terminate the Rental Contract and if the location of the Vehicle is known, recover it by lawful means or if it is unknown, after making reasonable attempts to contact You, report the Vehicle as stolen to the Police.
- If the Vehicle is returned to Us early, there is no entitlement to a refund.
- If You return the Vehicle more than 30 minutes after the date and time set for its return in the Rental Agreement, We will charge You $50 per hour up to one full day’s rental and a further full day’s rental at the standard rate for each 24 hour period or part thereof until the Vehicle is returned to Us.
- If You return the Vehicle with less than a full tank of fuel a refuelling charge of $55 (including GST) plus the cost of the fuel, may apply.
- A daily limit of 200 kilometres applies unless You have Our prior written approval to have this limit waived and it is noted on the Rental Agreement. For each day You exceed that limit You will incur an additional fee per kilometre as shown in the Rental Agreement (according to the size of the Vehicle).
- At the End of the Rental You must:
(a) return the Vehicle:
- in the same condition it was in at the Start of the Rental, fair wear and tear excepted; and
- with a full tank of fuel;
(i) the balance of the Rental Charges (if any);
(ii) the Damage Excess if there is Damage or Third Party Loss as a result of an Accident or the Vehicle is stolen;
(iii) any costs We incur, including extra cleaning costs under clause 3.5, in reinstating the Vehicle to the same condition it was in at the Start of the Rental, fair wear and tear excluded;
(iv) for all Damage arising from a Major Breach of the Rental Contract;
(v) for all Overhead Damage;
(vi) for all Underbody Damage;
(vii) for Reversing Damage; and
(viii) for any Damage caused by the immersion of the Vehicle in water.
- Any amount payable under the Rental Contract is subject to subsequent verification and adjustment and details of any adjustments will be provided to You as soon as practicable. Amounts owing to Us after the End of the Rental pursuant to clause 7 accrue interest at the rate of 10% per annum commencing 14 days after the End of the Rental.
- Credit card authority
If any amount is due to Us, including the Damage Excess payable under clauses 7.1 and 7.2, or remains unpaid You authorise Us to debit Your credit card with that amount within a reasonable time after the End of the Rental.
- Default in payment
If You default in the payment of any moneys owed to Us under the Rental Contract, You authorise Us to provide information of that default to a credit reporting body and to obtain an up to date consumer credit report on You. Personal information may be used and disclosed by the credit reporting body in accordance with the Privacy Act to create or maintain a credit information file containing information about You, including defaults in excess of 60 days and the debt owed to Us.
(a) If Your booking is cancelled within 48 hours prior to the Start of the Rental You my be charged a cancellation fee of 50% of the quoted Rental Charges; or
(b) if You fail to notify Us of Your intended cancellation prior to the Start of the Rental and fail to pick up the Vehicle, You will be charged the Rental Charges for the Rental Period as booked unless We are able to rent the Vehicle to another renter for an equivalent term and rate.
11 Accidents or breakdowns
- We will provide You with a Vehicle that is of acceptable quality and in good working condition taking into account the age of the Vehicle but breakdowns do occur. Twenty four hour roadside assistance is provided free of charge for breakdowns (but not for Accidents) and You must contact Us to request that assistance which We will arrange with Our roadside assistance provider. Provided there has not been a Substantial Breach Our roadside assistance provider will supply all practical assistance as soon as practicable.
- If the Vehicle cannot be repaired We will use Our best endeavours to provide a replacement Vehicle where one is available.
- We are not responsible for:
(a) Damage as a result of use of the incorrect fuel type;
(b) a flat battery because the lights or entertainment system have been left on;
(c) tyre changing;
(d) lost keys or remote control device; or
(e) keys or remote control device locked in the Vehicle.
Extra charges will apply if any of these services are provided at Your request.
- Subject to the Australian Consumer Law, if a breakdown does occur We are not responsible for:
(a) flights You have missed;
(b) holiday plans that are disrupted;
(c) loss of enjoyment; or
(d) consequential or economic loss.
- Accident reporting
(a) If You or an Authorised Driver has an Accident or if the Vehicle is stolen You must report the Accident or theft to Us within 24 hours of it occurring and fully complete an Accident/Theft report form.
(b) If the Vehicle is stolen or if You or an Authorised Driver of the Vehicle has an Accident where:
(i) any person is injured;
(ii) the other party has failed to stop or leaves the scene of the Accident without exchanging names and addresses; or
(iii) the other party appears to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol,
You or the Authorised Driver must also report the theft or Accident to the Police.
(c) If You or an Authorised Driver has an Accident You and the Authorised Driver must:
(i) exchange names and addresses and telephone numbers with the other driver;
(ii) take the registration numbers of all vehicles involved;
(iii) take as many photos as is reasonable showing:
(A) the position of the Vehicles before they are moved for towing or salvage;
(B) the Damage to the Vehicle;
(C) the damage to any third party vehicle or property; and
(D) the general area where the Accident occurred, including any road or traffic signs;
(iv) obtain the names, addresses and phone numbers of all witnesses;
(v) not make any admission of fault or promised to pay the other party’s claim or release the other party from any liability;
(vi) forward all third party correspondence or court documents to Us within 7 days of receipt; and
(vii) co-operate with Us in the prosecution of any legal proceedings that We may institute or defence of any legal proceedings which may be instituted against You or Us as a result of an Accident, including”
(A) attending Our lawyer’s office; or
(B) any Court hearing.
12 Consequences of a Major Breach of the Rental Contract
- If You or any Authorised Driver:
(a) commit a Major Breach of the Rental Contract in a way that causes Damage, theft of the Vehicle or Third Party Loss; or
(b) drive the Vehicle in a reckless manner so that a substantial breach of road safety legislation has occurred,
You and any Authorised Driver:
(i) have no Damage Cover;
(ii) are liable for all Damage, theft of the Vehicle and Third Party Loss; and
(iii) are liable for and must pay any additional costs or expenses We incur as a direct consequence.
- Acting reasonably, We may terminate the Rental Contract and take immediate possession of the Vehicle if a breach of any part of clause 1 has occurred.
- We are committed to complying with the Australian Privacy Principles.
- When We collect Your personal information We will do so only for the purpose of providing rental services to You. If You choose not to provide this information to Us We may not be able to provide those rental services to You.
- We take reasonable steps to make sure Your personal information is accurate, up to date and complete and that it is protected from misuse, loss or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Accident means an unintended and unforeseen incident, including:
(a) a collision between the Vehicle and another vehicle or object;
(b) a Single Vehicle Accident; or
(c) a weather event, including hail, storm or cyclone Damage,
that results in Damage or Third Party Loss.
Authorised Driver means any driver of the Vehicle who is approved by Us and who is recorded on the Rental Agreement prior to the Start of the Rental.Damage means:
(a) any loss or damage to the Vehicle including its parts, components and accessories, including the GPS unit, that is not fair wear and tear;
(b) towing and salvage costs;
(c) assessing fees; and
(d) Loss of Use,
and for the removal of doubt, any Damage to the windscreen, headlights, lights or tyres that makes the Vehicle unroadworthy is not fair wear and tear.Damage Excess means the amount, including GST, up to which You must pay Us in the event of an Accident that causes Damage or Third Party Loss or the Vehicle has been stolen.End of the Rental means the date and time shown in the Rental Agreement or the date and time the Vehicle is returned to Us, whichever is the later.GPS Tracking Device means a GPS or other device that is fitted to the Vehicle that has electronic tracking capabilities to determine its location and other data including speed and fuel levels.Loss of Use means Our loss calculated on a daily basis at the daily rate shown in the Rental Agreement because the Vehicle is being repaired or replaced if it is written off as a result of an Accident or it has been stolen.
Major Breach means a breach of any of clauses, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, 3.6, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.6, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, 5.11, or 5.12 that causes Damage, theft of the Vehicle or Third Party Loss.
Off Road means any area that is neither a sealed or unsealed road and includes but is not limited to unformed roads, fire trails, tracks, river and tidal crossings, creek beds, beaches, streams, dams, rivers, flood waters, sand, deserts, rocks, fields and paddocks.Overhead Damage means:
(a) Damage at or above the level of the top of the front windscreen of the Vehicle;
(b) Damage to any part of the Pantech or box section of a commercial Vehicle that is used for the carriage of goods or passengers; or
(c) Third Party Loss,
(i) contact between the part of the Vehicle that is at or above the level of the top of the front windscreen with objects overhanging or obstructing its path;
(ii) objects being placed on the roof of the Vehicle; or
(iii) You or any person standing or sitting on the roof of the Vehicle.
Rental Charges means the charges payable for renting the Vehicle from Us together with GST and any other taxes or levies which are all fully set out in the Rental Agreement.Rental Location means the location from which the Vehicle is rented, as shown on the Rental Agreement.Rental Period means the period commencing at the time shown in the Rental Agreement and concluding at the End of the Rental.Reversing Damage means Damage and Third Party Loss caused whilst the Vehicle is driven in reverse.Security Bond means the amount We collect from You at the Start of the Rental as security for the Rental Charges and other fees and charges incurred during Your rental. The amount is shown on the Rental Agreement and starts at $250 for local rentals and increases according to the proposed area and purpose of use.Single Vehicle Accident means:
- a collision between the Vehicle and another object when no other moving Vehicle is involved and includes impacts with animals, roadside infrastructure, vegetation and buildings and any stationary object including parked vehicles; and
Start of the Rental means the date and time that the rental commences as shown in the Rental Agreement.Third Party Loss means loss or damage to third party property, including other motor vehicles and any claim for third party loss of income.Underbody Damage means any damage to the Vehicle caused by or resulting from contact between the underside of the Vehicle and any part of the roadway or any object or obstruction, including kerbs, gutters, speed or road humps, barriers or wheel stops and does not arise as a result of an impact with another vehicle.Unsealed Road means a road that has been formed and constructed but is not sealed with a hard material such as tar, bitumen or concrete.Vehicle means the Vehicle described in the Rental Agreement and includes its parts, components and accessories, including the GPS unit and includes any replacement Vehicle.We, Us, Our, means Go Investments Pty Ltd (ACN 101 460 860) ATF the Camilleri Family Trust t/as Rent me Truck Hire ABN 67 631 923 467.You, Your means the person, whether it is an individual, a firm or company or government agency that rents the Vehicle from Us and whose name is shown in the Rental Agreement.